Tuesday, November 10, 2009

When two plus one equals a negative

Dearest readers, some of you have asked how Nolan's math situation is now. Well, it's the same. After a tense three way meeting the long and short of it is this: they agree they needed a wider base to evaluate students; next year they will do better; Nolan has to stay in his current math or else the principal will be hammered by parents demanding their kids be moved, too.

It's not like my son is doomed from this decision, but it still bugs me. It bugs me because if you are an Aggressive Parent your child gets advanced, and if you are a Nice Parent Who Doesn't Want to Offend an Even Nicer Teacher who has Dedicated 16 Years to Public Education, your kid is in easy math. I could have pushed it, and I didn't. I don't know why. Maybe I am tired. Maybe I think he will turn out great even if third grade math is too easy. Maybe I doubted my judgment.

Nolan, I'm sorry.

No comments: